On April 23, 2010, Arizona Governor Janis Brewer (R) signed Senate Bill 1070, the most radical immigration legislation in the United States, effectively permitting racial profiling in the state of Arizona. The law requires police to demand immigration papers from anyone who they have a "reasonable suspicion" is in the country illegally. This blog will chronicle the major events regarding this racist and inhumane law.
We enthusiastically encourage a boycott of the State of Arizona until the law is repealed.

4.25.2010

TPM Reader Blog Boycott Letter Suggestion

via TPM Cafe

"I think a coordinated boycott threat against the not-so-great-state of Arizona is urgently needed. I am sending this, or a rough facsimile of this letter to every state official in Arizona:

subject: 1070 and Birtherism -- No more tourism, business, or any other dollars from me or anyone I know

To the Arizona Tourism Authority Executive Director

Dear Ms. Sherry Henry,

I am sorry to inform you that my friends, family and I will not be spending a dollar in your state until this un-American law is repealed vetoed or shot down. I also own a business that will no longer contract with businesses in Arizona, or allow my employees to create new accounts with businesses or individuals in Arizona.

My family used to vacation twice a year on the Colorado river.Now we will go to Nevada.I am also going to contact my vendors, both big and small, both business and personal, and any that I find that operate, IN ANY WAY, in your state will be subject to a boycott by me, my family, my business and my friends and employees.

I'm starting with letters to organize my colleagues and associates, and I have zero tolerance for your states bigotry and obvious institutionalized racism. Please do not try to export your state's hate and bigotry to California or any other more enlightened state. We will check YOUR PAPERS at the border.




Here is the tourism list of contacts: cc'd: mstanton@azot.gov; cambrose@azot.gov; lbelonio@azot.gov; sblackgoat@azot.gov; kchurchard@azot.gov; kcouchon@azot.gov; tkooi@azot.govmdorn@azot.gov; hfothergill@azot.gov

I am also faxing a similar letter to the Gov on down, and contacting any big vendor that I used to shop with, Costco etc... and any that do business with the low-info state of AZ will no longer get my business until they have openly opposed these laws and practices. Check On-line businesses too.

Do your homework people. We must not tolerate un-American laws, and money is what they understand."


Talking Points Memo reader Rich May